Sebastian is a charming coastal city located in Indian River County, Florida. With a population of just under 25,000, Sebastian offers a small-town feel with plenty of outdoor activities and scenic attractions. The city is known for its natural beauty, including the Indian River Lagoon, which offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and wildlife viewing. Sebastian also boasts a variety of restaurants and shops, making it a popular destination for visitors and locals alike.
1. Boating and fishing: Sebastian is located on the Indian River Lagoon, which offers opportunities for boating and fishing. The lagoon is home to a variety of fish, including redfish, snook, and tarpon, making it a popular destination for anglers.
2. Beaches: Sebastian is home to several beaches, including the Sebastian Inlet State Park, which offers opportunities for swimming, surfing, and fishing. The park also has a campground and picnic areas.
3. Wildlife viewing: The Indian River Lagoon is home to a variety of wildlife, including manatees, dolphins, and a variety of bird species. Visitors can take a kayak or boat tour to see these animals up close.
4. Golfing: Sebastian is home to several golf courses, including the Sebastian Municipal Golf Course and the Sebastian Golf Club.
5. Hiking and biking: Sebastian offers several parks and nature preserves with trails for hiking and biking, including the Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge.
1. Sebastian Clambake Festival: Held in March, the Sebastian Clambake Festival is a two-day event that features fresh seafood, live music, and carnival rides.
2. Sebastian Riverfront Fine Art and Music Festival: This two-day event takes place in January and features fine art, live music, and food vendors along the Sebastian Riverfront.
3. Sebastian Riverfront Jazz and Blues Festival: Held in November, this festival showcases jazz and blues music from local and national artists, along with food and drink vendors.
4. Sebastian Lionfish Fest: This one-day event in May celebrates the unique and invasive lionfish species with a fishing tournament, live music, and lionfish tastings.
5. Sebastian 4th of July Parade and Fireworks: The city celebrates Independence Day with a parade and fireworks display over the Indian River Lagoon.
1. Riverview Shopping Center: Located on US-1, the Riverview Shopping Center features a variety of stores, including a Publix grocery store, a Bealls Outlet, and several specialty shops.
2. Sebastian Square: This outdoor shopping plaza features a mix of national and local retailers, including a Dollar Tree, a Planet Fitness, and a Verizon Wireless store.
3. Sebastian Farmers Market: Held every Thursday from 11am to 3pm, the Sebastian Farmers Market offers a variety of fresh produce, baked goods, and handmade crafts.
4. Pelican Island Plaza: Located on Sebastian Boulevard, the Pelican Island Plaza is home to a variety of stores, including a Walgreens, a Dollar General, and a Subway restaurant.
5. Antique shops: Sebastian is home to several antique shops, including the Antiques and Things store, which features a variety of vintage items and collectibles.
1. Captain Hiram’s Resort: This waterfront resort features several dining options, including Blackfins Riverfront Grill and Sandbar Beach Club, which offer fresh seafood and live music.
2. Pareidolia Brewing Company: This local brewery features a taproom and outdoor beer garden, along with a rotating selection of food trucks.
3. Tiki Bar and Grill: Located on the Sebastian Riverfront, the Tiki Bar and Grill offers outdoor dining and live music, along with a variety of seafood dishes and tropical drinks.
4. Mo-Bay Grill: This upscale restaurant features Caribbean-inspired cuisine, including dishes like jerk chicken and coconut shrimp.
5. Giuseppe’s Pizzeria: This family-owned pizzeria offers a variety of pizza toppings, as well as calzones, salads, and Italian sandwiches.
The city offers a variety of real estate options, from waterfront estates to affordable family homes.
The median home value in Sebastian is around $200,000, making it an affordable option for those looking to purchase a home. The city offers a mix of newer construction and older, more established neighborhoods.
Some of the most popular neighborhoods in Sebastian include:
1. Sebastian Highlands: This neighborhood is located just west of US-1, and features a mix of single-family homes and duplexes.
2. Collier Club: This gated community is located on the eastern side of Sebastian, and features a mix of single-family homes and villas.
3. Riverfront: This waterfront neighborhood is located along the Indian River Lagoon, and offers a mix of single-family homes and townhomes.
4. Sandcrest: This newer community features a mix of single-family homes and townhomes, and is located just south of Sebastian.
In addition to single-family homes, Sebastian also offers a variety of waterfront condos and townhomes, making it a popular option for those looking for a vacation home or rental property.
Sebastian is a charming city located on Florida’s Treasure Coast, offering a relaxed and waterfront lifestyle. Whether you’re looking for waterfront activities like boating and fishing, attending festivals and events, exploring unique shops and restaurants, or seeking your dream home, Sebastian has something for everyone. Its affordable real estate options, mixed with its coastal lifestyle and small-town charm, make it a great place to call home or to spend a relaxing vacation.